Friday, March 11, 2011

Installment 6, by Caleb Kimbrough

“Young master Douglas, has not your mom taught you that he who leaves his mouth agate welcomes in the ornate?” stated Nigel in a nonchalant fashion, while filling the pipe which he unofficially bequeathed unto his own personship.
Time suddenly became relative in the life of Constable Douglas. So did space for that matter. He could not have told you how long he sat there. He could not have told you which direction was up; in fact, he could not speak at all. But he was very much able to turn a funny tint of streaked red and blue which reminded one of that preposterous flag belonging to those brash Yankes.
“Constable, I do believe it would behoove you to start breathing” said Gabriel with a splintered hint of concern. Mr. Bishop leaned over the table and poured an unknown substance from a pearly looking flask like contraption into the man’s tea. “Now then Douglas, drink your tea. It will work a wonder in, on, and around you.”
Not knowing what to do the constable picked up the cup with his quivering hands and took a large gulp. He cocked his head to the left in turtle fashion and a look of contorted horror commandeered his entire face. The best way to describe the happenings within this poor man’s body is that old poem by Robert Frost. First, his throat was destroyed by fire while a moment later his stomach became a furry of torrential ice causing him to shiver like a wet cat. Eventually the fire consumed his entire essence and it did suffice. Quickly he regained time, space, speech, and enough courage to help him run a rampage. “What the devil are you all on about? You come to my town, take my evidence, interrogate me, tell me I’m going on some tomfoolery adventure, fill me up with a liquid from the pit of Beelzebub, and expect me to obey your every command?!. Let me just tell you right here and now...”
“Pay the waiter constable” said Gabriel as he rose from his seat. “And be quick about it. I need you to show me over to Sam’s schooner. “Sam?” asked Douglas the dazed. “I believe you called him ‘Ol' Ferny.’”
At this Douglas the lion hearted tried to “put his foot down” as he had so many times seen his mother do to his father; however, at this point in history, he lacked her resolve of will. “Alright” he stated begrudgingly, “I will pay the bill, I will take you to Ol’ Fernie’s schooner, and I will even let old frumpy keep that blasted pipe, but will you please just leaVE ME ALONE?
“Mr. Douglas, do you really think that we could leave you in this frame of mind? It would be uncivil. Why, It would be quite pagan of us to leave you now”, winked Nigel.
Mr. Bishop straitened his jacket while arising to his complete height, “My dear Mr. Douglas, I have traversed this entire globe, seen that which no eye was made to behold, discovered knowledge beyond our century, and taken part in more joys and more hurts than your innocent mind can fathom..............

I am beyond all human redemption

...............” With that final statement a frozen mist eclipsed his blue eyes. Professor Gabriel Bishop stepped into a past nightmare, which hung heavy upon every drip of his present life, leaving his future dislocated and maimed. Quickly regaining his unwrinkled composure Mr. Bishop stated, “So believe me when I say: you will be a benefit to us, just as we shall be a benefit to you.”
This peculiar compliment from this peculiar soul, which seemed to be the slightest bit beyond mortality, pored a warming courage over the heart of constable Douglas; a courage which no strong liquid could have brought.

1 comment:

  1. Bonjour,

    I come into the story soon, I think.

    I am excited.

    Viva la France!

    ReplyDelete